J-1 Student Employment Options

On-Campus Employment

J-1 students may engage in employment if:

  1. Student is in good academic standing
  2. Student continues to engage in a full course of study while school is in session
  3. The Office of International Programs has approved the specific employment in advance and in writing.

On campus employment is defined as employment which occurs at UTEP. Positions could include teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and hourly employment (Food Services, Library, etc).

J-1 students are eligible to work on campus a maximum of 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring academic semesters. During semester breaks, official school vacation days, and summer vacation, J-1 students are eligible to work full-time on campus. A student who has a valid DS-2019 and intends to enroll for the next regular term may work on-campus incident to status.

Please note that on-campus employment is not permitted after completion of a degree program unless the student has been issued a DS-2019 to begin a new academic program at UTEP or has been granted Academic Training.

How to Apply

You must get approval from OIP before beginning to work. OIP will authorize the on-campus work in SEVIS and issue you a letter to take to Human Resources. Please review the on-campus employment request form for instructions.

Academic Training (AT)

  • Academic Training (AT) is internship/employment related to a J-1 student’s field of study. 
  • It can be paid, or unpaid.
  • It allows for more than one job/internship at a time, as long as they are all related to the student’s field of study and SEPARATE Academic Training requests are submitted for each separate job/internship.

Types of Academic Training

Pre-completion AT

Academic Training authorized before the completion of studies is Pre-completion.

Full-time AT is 21 hours per week or more and is limited to two (2) long semesters during the academic term, and can be full-time during the summer.

Part-time AT is 20 hours per week or less and you must be enrolled full-time to maintain your J-1 student status while engaged in part-time AT.

Post-completion AT

Academic Training authorized after the completion of studies is Post-completion AT. Post-completion AT can be full-time or part-time.

Duration of Academic Training

18-Month General Limit:

AT is available for a total of 18 months, or for a period equal to the length of the study program, whichever is shorter.

36-Month Maximum for Post Doctoral Training:

AT may be available for up to 36 months, or for a period equal to the length of the study program, whichever is shorter, at the post-doctoral level.  The additional 18-month (or less) AT must be a separate application.

Note: All AT is counted as full-time, even if it is authorized on a part-time basis. For example, if a student has used part-time AT for 3 months before the completion of studies, s/he is only eligible for AT (part-time or full-time) for another 15 months after the completion of studies, provided the student’s program of study is 18 months or longer.

The following criteria must be met by the student:

  • Must be in good academic standing
  • Must be in the U.S. primarily to study rather than engage in academic training.
  • Academic training must be done with a specific employer or training site and be directly related to the major field of study listed on DS-2019
  • Must receive approval from academic advisor
  • Must receive written approval in advance from OIP for the duration and type of academic training.

When to Apply for Academic Training

Pre-completion AT: At least two weeks BEFORE proposed AT begin date. (Please note that you must be in J-1 status for at least one semester prior to engaging in AT.)

Post-completion AT: After census day of your final semester to at least two weeks BEFORE the end of the 30 day grace period.

AT Extension: At least two weeks BEFORE your current AT expiration date.

How to Apply

Please review the Academic Training request form for instructions and eligibility.

Economic Hardship

Off-campus employment may be possible because of serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances arising since acquiring exchange visitor status. Student must be in good academic standing, continue to engage in a full course of study while school in session.

How to Apply

An appointment with International Student Advisor is required. We see students on a walk-in basis daily from 9 am to 4pm. 


Location, Hours, and Contact Information