J-1 Employment Options

 J-1 Students

Degree seeking students on the J visa are typically students who are receiving funding from their home governments to study in the U.S. J-1 students have a variety of employment options while studying and after completion of a program.

J-1 Scholars, Professors, and Student Interns

Scholars, professors and interns are primarily in the U.S. to work, either paid or unpaid at the institution (sponsor) that issued their DS-2019 document. Scholars, professors and interns have limited employment options beyond the site of activity for which the DS-2019 was issued.

OIP issues DS-2019s on the behalf of UTEP departments and provides detailed instructions about how to sponsor an exchange visitor.

Location, Hours, and Contact Information