How to be Admitted to Graduate School
There are 3 general steps that a new GRADUATE student must fulfill to be admitted to UTEP.
1) Apply for admission
2) Present admission exams
3) Demonstrate how s/he intends to pay for school.
1) Submit the admission application online
a. Attach to the application the following documents:
i. Official transcripts
ii. Certificate or degree candidate letter
iv. Letter of intent
v. 2 or 3 letters of recommendation
(Please check directly with the college to obtain more details about their requirements).
b. Pay the admission fee
2) Present admission exams (whichever applies):
TOEFL – Score 550/600 (College of Business Administration)
GRE (if necessary) – For more information, call (915) 842-7500
GMAT (if necessary)
|TOEFL IBT/International||213 (Internet-based exam in English)|
|TOEFL Paper||550 (600 College of Business Administration) (Paper version exam in English)|
|GRE||Scores vary by college. Applicants to all colleges|
|GMAT||Scores vary by college. Applicants to College of Business Administration|
3) Prove financial capability to cover education expenses by turning in a complete Confirmation of Financial Resources Form to the Office of International Programs. If you qualify, you can also apply to the PASE Program.
Once your application has been revised, the admission fee paid, your admission exams approved and your PASE/CFR applications processed, the Graduate School will send you a letter of admission and an I-20 form needed to request your student visa.
Once you have your letter of admission and I-20:
A. Register for a New Student Orientation and for the New International Student Orientation (mandatory).
C. Before entering the country, visit the immigration offices at the port of entry to register your entry to the country.
D. Visit the Office of International Programs to register your arrival at the university. You have 15 days from your entry to report.
- Generally, it takes about 24 hours to review an admissions application.
- The application is first reviewed by the Graduate School.
- If it is complete, it is then sent to the faculty committee of the corresponding college for evaluation and a decision. If a document is missing, sending the application to committee for evaluation will be delayed.
- The faculty committee evaluates the application and determines an outcome.
- A representative of the faculty committee sends the decision to the Graduate School.
- The graduate School prepares a decision letter signed by the Dean.
- If the application is approved and the Confirmation of Financial Resources has also been approved, a letter of admission and I-20 form are sent to the student.
Office of International Programs
203 Union East Bldg * (915) 747-5664 * firstname.lastname@example.org * Hours: Monday-Tuesday 8-6 Wednesday-Friday 8-5
Monday-Friday 8-5 when classes are not in session.