Employment Options- J-1 Scholars, Professors, and Student Interns

J-1 Scholars and Professors

Scholars and professors are only permitted to work as described on their Form DS-2019. this is usually limited to the sponsoring department at UTEP.  However, they may accept additional employment only if first authorized by The Office of International Programs in accordance with the federal regulations.

Possible employment options:

       1. Changing or adding sites of activity (options are very limited)

       2. Occasional Lectures and Short-term Consultations

How to Apply

Please schedule an appointment with an International Student Advisor to discuss any opportunities before accepting any offers. Prior written authorization is required for additional employment.

Student Interns

J-1 student interns are studying at the Bachelors or Undergraduate level outside the US. These students can participate in an internship/research experience at UTEP that will “fulfill the educational objectives for his or her current degree program at his or her home institution.” The student intern process is unrelated to admission to UTEP and interns are not eligible for student employment at UTEP.


Location, Hours, and Contact Information