Grade Grievance

Formal grade appeals may be submitted to the Faculty Senate’s Grievance Committee.
A challenge to a grade may be pursued only on the basis of: malice, bias, arbitrary or capricious grade determination or impermissible discrimination. All student-initiated grade reviews and grade appeals shall be made no later than one year after the official grade has been released to the student; for a student who has graduated, the deadline is three months following the semester in which the degree was awarded. Prior to filing a complaint you must complete the following steps:

  1. Meet directly with the faculty member who issued the grade and discus your concern.
  2. If you are unable to resolve the difference you should then meet with the chair of the department or faculty member’s administrative supervisor.
  3. Please note that some colleges and/or departments have a unique set of procedures for grade appeal.  You are responsible for following college and/or departmental procedures prior to filing a complaint with the Student Welfare and Grievance Committee.

Complaint Form

Instructions-Complaint Form (PDF)