Temporary Disabilities

Temporary Disability Assistance and Options:

Many students will experience a temporary disability at any point in their progress toward degree attainment. Such temporary disabilities can result from athletic injuries, car accidents, traumatic experiences, head injuries, and pregnancy, among other examples. All UTEP students with temporary disabilities are eligible for classroom accommodations and should make an appointment to become registered with the CASS office as soon as possible to receive these accommodations. Depending on the student’s current class schedule, the severity of the temporary disability, and the accessibility of their classrooms, adjustments to the class or to the student’s schedule might need to be made. The following options are available in regard to any UTEP student’s temporary disability.

A. If the temporary disability occurs early in the semester, the student may :

  1. Make arrangements with the professor to complete assignments outside of the classroom.
  2. Request to be reassigned to a different section of the same course in an accessible location.
  3. Withdraw from the course and register to take the class as an independent study with the professor’s permission.
  4. Withdraw from the course(s) if the remaining assignments cannot be completed over a reasonable period of time.
  5. Request, if the classroom is now inaccessible, it be relocated to an accessible location if no other options are feasible.

B. If the temporary disability takes place a few weeks or more into the semester, the student may :

  1. Request that an Incomplete be given as a grade if the assignments can be completed within a year.
  2. Withdraw from the class if the assignments cannot be completed within a reasonable amount of time, if the deadline has not already passed.
  3. Request a medical withdrawal, but must be aware that the withdrawal will be from all classes on their course schedule for that semester.

In all cases of temporary disability, the student should remain in close contact with their professors. In considering options it is recommended that students consult with their academic advisor and/or a CASS staff member, when appropriate.