ADA Parking options: For University Faculty, Staff, and Students with disabilities

ADA Parking options: For University Faculty, Staff, and Students with disabilities

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) parking options for University Faculty, Staff, and Students with disabilities

UTEP ADA Permits are issued to faculty, staff, and students who have a verified disability. Applicants must provide a TX DOT VTR- 214 form with a doctor’s signature, or a copy of their state disability placard or state disability license plate verification.

For more information, please  click on the following link:

Frequently asked questions

  1. Can I purchase an ADA permit if my disability is only temporary?

Temporary ADA parking permit for faculty, staff, and students are issued by the Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) office upon receipt of a TX DOT VTR- 214 form with a doctor’s signature, or a copy of their state disability placard or state disability license plate verification. Temporary ADA permits do require a corresponding state disability permit.


  1. Where can I park with an ADA permit?

ADA permit holders may use their permit to park in parking spaces specifically designated ADA, which are located throughout campus and in any Orange, Blue, Green, or Silver zone.


  1. What do I do if I can’t find a space on campus?

If an ADA designated space is not available, individuals with accessibility needs may park in any available space that is not a reserved space. If unable to locate a space in the area, please proceed to the nearest information kiosk located on the University Avenue and a parking representative will assist you with an alternate location. Parking will assist you with an alternate location. Parking in another location without authorization and a temporary permit may result in a citation.


  1. How can I purchase an ADA permit?

Students, faculty, and staff may purchase an ADA permit online at or at the Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) office located in the Mike Loya Academic Services Building, Room 122, upon verification of the required documents.


  1. How does parking work for visitors with disabilities?

Visitors with state–issued disability placards or license plates may park in any ADA parking space upon obtaining a temporary parking permit at any entry control station/ kiosk between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00p.m.weekdays.

  1. All other times

ADA Permits are NOT required on weekends and holidays unless indicated by signage. However, an ADA license plate or ADA identification placard is required at all times to park in any ADA space.

Miner Metro Shuttle information

Accessible shuttle services

In order to assist persons with accessibility need, wheelchair accessible buses are available on each Miner Metro Shuttle Bus Route during the normal operating times. Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 9:05 p.m.; except during official University holidays. Please see attached schedule for exact service schedule of the accessible buses on the following routes:


Route #1 East (Blue)

Route #2 Campus loop (Green)

Route #3 West (Orange)

Route #4 (Campbell Building)

For additional information concerning the Miner Metro Shuttle’s ADA services, please contact First Transit at (915) 533-4731.

Paratransit services

Paratransit services within the campus are provided through the City of El Paso’s public transit provider, Sun Metro, who provides point to point service from the outside the campus onto the UTEP campus. The Sun Metro Lift customer service line is (915) 212-0100.

Project Amistad provides door-to-door paratransit services through its New Freedom transportation program for residents of El Paso County. Advance registration is requires. For information, please visit their website at, or call (915)298-7307.

General Parking Guidelines

Parking and Traffic rules and regulations are in effect at all times whether or not classes are in session. Parking lots are subject to closure for special events or construction. Please check the parking website: for information regarding disruption or closures. Lost or stolen permits should be reported immediately to Parking and Transportation Services. Permits can be replaced after payment of a replacement fee.



Garage Parking

Parking is available for individuals with accessibility needs in all garages for a fee. Visitors with accessibility needs displaying the appropriately approved state plate or placard may park in any space reserved for the persons with disabilities in the university’s parking garages.


Student Health Center

You may also acquire a temporary on-campus parking permit for up to 6(six) week per semester by providing proof of medical notice and duration from a U. S.  doctor to the Student Health Center located in the Union building east suite 100.  There is a $5.00 charge for reviewing the documentation and determining the duration of time for the temporary permit.


Departmental Arrangements

Conference coordinators and departments must arrange with PTS (Event Parking Request Form) to provide parking and transportation for event guests with disabilities if required between 7:00a.m. To 8:00p.m., Monday through Friday.

Accessible Exempt Parking

Disabled Veterans, Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients, Former Prisoners of War, Pearl Harbor Survivors, and Purple Heart Recipients whose vehicles display the special license plates issued by the State of Texas or applicable state of issuance are exempt from payment of the fees at paid short-term surface metered parking.

These individuals are exempt from the payment of the fees, upon proper registration with Parking and Transportation Services, for any University surface parking permit for which they are otherwise eligible, in accordance with State law. This privilege applies to the veteran only and not to anyone else driving the vehicle.

Accessible Parking

Accessible parking, located in surface parking areas, required both a UTEP parking permit, as well as a State Disabled placard and/or license plate. Accessible parking, located in parking garages, requires the appropriate garage permit or payment of short term parking fees.

The ADA hangtag or disabled license plate must be issued in the name of the eligible person utilizing the vehicle parked in an ADA space. ADA placards, driver’s license identification card and similar information must be provided upon request of a University Parking or Police personnel to demonstrate proof of eligibility for ADA parking privileges.

For Student ADA Questions and classroom accommodations:

Please contact the Center for Accommodations and Support Services at (915) 747-5148 voice/TTY, by email at, or The office is located in room 106 UTEP Union East.

For Faculty/Staff ADA Questions