Job Scam Alerts
Don’t Be Scammed: AVOID FRAUDULENT JOBS
Your UTEP Career Center offers the following tips to help you avoid being scammed by fraudulent jobs. If you encounter any suspicious activity, please contact us at 747-5640.
Core essentials to avoiding a job scam:
- Do not give your personal bank account, PayPal account, or credit card number to a new employer.
- Do not agree to have funds or paychecks directly deposited into any of your accounts by a new employer – you should know them first. (Most employers give the option of direct deposit or a paycheck, and make these arrangements during your first day or week of actual employment, on site – not before.)
- Do not forward, transfer, send by courier (EX: FedEX, UPS), or “wire” money to anyone. Do not be tricked into becoming a money mule.
- Do not respond to suspicious and/or “too good to be true” unsolicited job emails.
- In general, applicants do not pay a fee to obtain a job, but there are some rare exceptions.
Source: Michigan State University Career Services Network